A screw flight is commonly utilized in conveyor belts to extract fluids. It is an indispensable tool when it comes to drilling, piling, and mining jobs. The design and the fabrication method of a screw flight will depend on the kind of screw flight needed. Although it is commonly used to dig and extract materials, there are many types of screw flight of different sizes and pitches. Depending on these things, the screw flight comes in these types:
- Helicoid flight is formed into a continuous helix from a flat strip. The outer edge of this screw flight is thinner and the inner edge is thicker.
- Sectional flight has a thread that is uniformly thick all throughout. It is formed from a flat disc into a continuous helix by combining many sectional flights on a pipe.
- Short pitch flight is used when the conveyor need to handle dry granules and powdery materials. It is recommended for conveyors that have a slope of 20 like vertical conveyors and inclined conveyors.
- Ribbon screw flight is used in conveyors that handle lumpy and sticky substances. It has continuous helical flights made of steel bars and supported by lugs.
- Cut screw flight provides a moderate mixing motion to the conveyor that handles light and granular objects.
- Cut and folded screw flight is used when agitation and aeration is needed for better mixing of materials.
- Stainless steel screw flight is used in special mixing jobs that require sanitation like food and drugs.
Understanding industrial requirements
While choosing a manufacturer for screw flights you will have to focus on fulfilling your unique requirements. For example if you are looking for screws for your rendering plants then you need to find a manufacturer who is skilled at designing heavy duty screw conveyors that confirm to your customer requirements. Sometimes the thickness of troughs and screw flights can exceed one inch. The manufacturer who services the rendering industry has specifically designed flight press which can create one inch thick plates. There are other equipments which will be required to build these plates. One thing you should check is whether your manufacturer has an updated quality control program which is ISO 9001-2008 certified.